Metacognition is thinking about thinking–abstracting about abstracting.
Uploading quick thoughts on Metacognition that will hopefully spark some discussion. Will add more scientific literature later. These are personal thoughts:
- Metacognition is seeing one own's programming. Similar to noticing you are in a dream and modifying it, a bird's eye view to oneself. Imagine viewing yourself in third person, but your thought process.
- Metacognition is seeing the framework that operates you, like an AI becoming self aware of the code that operates it.
- You become able to modify structures, paths, thought models and heuristics.
- You can stress test all of the above, modify variables one by one. Implementing and adding better responses/commands to situations.
- Adding complexity to better the programming and less bugs.
- Metacognition is a powerful tool to hack oneself and see potential weaknesses. It can be used to analyze new situations and decide on an optimal heuristic.
- Tracing back responses to heuristics and their origin. This leads to know HOW an idea entered our framework, and WHEN. This helps to introduce vetted models and to reexamine previous ones.
I am adding an opinion on downsides of metacognition:
- Analysis paralyisis.
- Detachment from biology/humanity.
- Problems with self.
- Metacognition: the processes and skills that allow individuals to think about their own thought processes, abilities, knowledge and awareness.
- Metacognitive knowledge: what individuals know about their abilities and the tasks before them.
Declarative - "What am I able to do, what factors will influence this?" Procedural - "What will this task require, what is involved? Conditional - "What can or should I do? Why?"
- Metacognitive regulation refers to what individuals do about their own learning to monitor and control their cognitive process.
-Planning: "What are the goals, how do I achieve?" -Monitoring: "Is this strategy working, do I change?" -Evaluation: "What went well, what didn't?"
- When considered in the context of education, improved metacognitive skills allow individuals to guide their own learning and performance, ultimately improving engagement and independence across all ranges of ability.
further reading on metacognition